I’m continuing my journey in the kitchen during this long cold winter. The troops have requested some new additions to the family menu. Last week I introduced you to a hearty bowl of Cauliflower Chowder with Bacon.
This week I tried out Spaghetti Squash. I have never heard of this vegetable. I have been passing this delightful veggie in the produce section for years. My girlfriend Suzannah Handscombe Trudeau an amazing mom and teacher, introduced me to the vegetable last year. I saw her preparing it and asked her what the vegetable was. She told be it was a great way to replace pasta that is high in carbs. She adds tomato sauce to her dish.
I myself have been fumbling with recipes for months. I finally found one with some fine tuning to serve at our dinner table. Here you go! I would love to hear what you think. My family had no idea they were eating squash and loved it!
1 Spaghetti Squash
Sea Salt to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
2 Chicken Breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
FOR THE SAUCE
1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 Cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 Lemon, Juiced
1 Cup Chicken Broth
8 Ounces Baby Spinach
- Preheat oven to 375F/200C.
- Poke several holes into the spaghetti squash. Microwave on high for 5 minutes .
- Cut squash in half along the holes. Remove seeds with a spoon. Drizzle squash with olive oil. and season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash upside down on baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until soft. Let cool.
- Using a skillet, cook the chicken breast on medium-high heat with a little olive oil for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions for a few minutes. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add lemon juice and chicken broth, and cook until the liquid partially reduces, about 20 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes
- Using fork, shred the inside of the squash.
- Pour sauce over the squash. Serve Immediately